Happy Birthday Botox!
Last month at Medicetics, we were celebrating Botox, the leader in anti-ageing treatments. That is because May marked the 15th anniversary since Botox burst onto the scene and took the cosmetic dermatology industry by storm.
It revolutionised anti-ageing as we know it, and fifteen years on it is still as popular as ever, expected to hit £2.2billion in global sales next year. In fact, you might have spotted our very own Dr Vicky Dondos being named as “best for Botox” in a recent article for Hello! Magazine, where she discussed just how far Botox has come since its launch.
“Dr Vicky Dondos understands the natural look is ideal and will hand-hold you through the entire procedure – Great for first-timers – Nadine Baggot, Beauty Editor at Hello”
How does Botox work?
The treatment itself was developed by industry powerhouse Allergan. It is an anti-ageing answer to fine lines and wrinkles in that the toxin blocks signals from the nerve cells to the muscles once injected into the target area. The muscle is then relaxed and fine lines and wrinkles appear reduced for smoother, youthful skin. It is so popular due to the fact that it is a non-surgical procedure, capable of producing long-lasting, effective results. The most popular treatment areas are the crow’s feet and frown lines.
Here are some facts about Botox that you might not be aware of:
– In its first year, Botox generated sales of $440million in the US alone, and since its launch in 2002, 11 million vials have been used for facial aesthetic treatments in the US alone.
– Botox is also an effective treatment for excessive sweating, teeth grinding, migraines and an overactive bladder.
– It was first used in the 1970’s and 80’s to treat an eye condition known as Strabismus (squint), before being used to treat a number of other medical conditions.
– The cosmetic benefits were discovered in the 1990’s, purely by accident. Patients being treated for Strabismus and Diplopia (double vision) began to notice an improvement in the appearance of their wrinkles.
– More men are indulging in the treatment, with a 337% increase in male treatments since 2000.
– Reputable doctors, such as those at Medicetics, will turn patients away if they feel Botox isn’t necessary or if the patient desires more than they need.
Botox at Medicetics
While there are some horror stories surrounding botched Botox, this shouldn’t be the case when you consult with an experienced, reputable doctor.
Medicetics is an award-winning, doctor-led clinic and all of our wrinkle relaxing treatments are performed by highly trained doctors. During your consultation process, we will assess your wants and needs in order to create an effective treatment plan that is designed specifically for you. Don’t delay and book your consultation today!
BOOK A CONSULTATION
Book a consultation with Medicetics.